1/13/10

A perfect location for a Toxic Landscape

Toxic Landscape
When I cropped this image in the viewfinder I was imagining a fall landscape, blue sky, and silhouetted trees at the edge of a lake. The shapes are loosely formed by the rust and paint remnants. I love this shot on so many levels. For weeks during the construction of the small building that would eventually become my studio I walked past the portable trailer dumpster only to look inside for useful scraps. I was too focused on the construction project to see past the contents. At one point we moved it to help a subcontractor and the imaginary scene caught my eye. I only took a few shots and went back to work. Now I wish I had shot an extensive study of the surface. The next day we had to move it again and the light was never the same and the leaves had moved.
I've had the print hanging in my studio since a photography show. It looks fantastic with the acid stained concrete floor. A few months ago I decided to rehang a watercolor print by Robert H. Way featuring the downtown square of Keene, NH where I grew up. My brother's family was making a trip to that very spot and since I couldn't be there the watercolor was the next best thing. My Toxic Landscape needed a new home. I carried it around the corner and found the perfect location (hint: read the lettering on the Toxic Landscape photo. - thanks Ron!). pw

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You hung your beloved photo in the toilet!!!

Paul Ware said...

ahhh... but the kids think it's funny reading U-DUMP over the john. That's priceless!